Monday, February 20, 2012

Mom's 50th Birthday crafts, Valentine's menu card (& Sorry for not being around lately!!)

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I left you all hanging for about 2 weeks.... but I now have projects to share!! (Not nearly as many as I intended on working on... but I also cut myself cutting a card last weekend which resulted in me going to the hospital for a tetanus shot and glue to seal my cut). Last week, after I cut myself, I developped an aversion toward all my paper.... and I totally thought for a second I wouldn't be making paper crafts for the next few months - but I couldn't disappoint my mom right before her birthday! So, once I sucked it up, I went to my cricut and did some creating!! (Warning: this blog post is very long!!)

First up, mom's birthday card:

The left side is embossed using my Happy Birthday embossing folder and sparkly purple paper :) (The black right side is also embossed). The Happy Birthday embossing folder makes the "P"s into flowers so I added tiny purple rhinestones on all the flowers for some added dimension and sparkle. I cut out the 50 using the Storybook cartridge and glued that to a frame I cut from Paper Lace 2. The "50" frame is embellished with white rhinestones and pop-dotted onto the card.

Next up, Happy Birthday Bouquet
I had seen this idea on the Cricut Community forums and thought it was a must-do! Paper lasts a lot longer than flowers... and my mom ended up getting 3 bouquets of flowers so it was nice to give her this alternative! I cut out some cupcakes and Happy Birthday sentiments (Create A Critter), some "50s" and the "Mom" is cut from the Opposites Attract cricut cartridge. All elements are glued onto a skewer and is arranged in the pot full of shredded scraps of paper). This was very well-received and I think I'm gonna keep this idea in the back of my mind for baby showers, anniversaries, you name it!


Last but not least, my mom's birthday gift :)
Intro: 50 is kinda a big deal, so I wanted to get my mom something special but of course had no ideas. Then it dawned on me that a lottery ticket for the Princess Margaret Hospital (helpconquercancer.ca) was a nice gesture... the money goes towards a very worthy cause and who knows, she may be lucky enough to win the grand prize show home (and if she does, this will be recorded as the best gift she's ever gotten!!!). Now... I knew I didn't just wanna give her the ticket, I had to present it in a clever way. On my commute Friday morning a brilliant idea poped into my head! And this is what I did:

I constructed a house treats box from the Sweet Tooth Boxes cartridge. I think my favourite detail is the 'stonework'. I took some paper, ran it through the Tiny Mosaic embossing folder and rubbed some silver ink over it and voila - paper stonework! The roof is embossed with the Oriental Weave folder and I added some rhinestone flowers and rhinestones for some accent.

What I did was fill the house with chocolate coins, and the lottery ticket that read: Guaranteed to own a home and lots of cash! LOL At the very least, even if she doesn't win a house or cash from the lottery, she still owns a paper house and some chocolate coins! Sometimes I come up with very cheesy (read: clever) ideas that I just have to make!

My mom absolutely loved her gift and very much appreciated how it was presented so YAY! All in all, she loved all my paper crafts and says she still has no clue where I get all my creativity from lol.

Mom's birthday = success!

Valentine's day = success!
I didn't get around to making the 2nd Valentine's day card I wanted to make my love because I cut my finger.... but I had already finished Prince Charming and I had already finished some menu cards for the very special dinner I cooked us :)

I am absolutely in love with how elegant they look and they were super fast and easy to make! I printed out 2 menus on a 8.5"x11" paper, trimmed them and ran the top of them through my Leafy embossing folder. Next, I tied a red ribbon on on each, glued it all to a red mat and added a couple rhinestones. BEAUTY!

I have 2 more cards to post about but I think I'm gonna leave this post alone. Plus, one of those cards is for my friend at work so I don't want to spoil any surprises if she may be reading!

Until next time peeps! (And next time will not be 2 weeks from now!!)

1 comment: